Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Read "Sweat" by Zora Neale Hurston

Here's a link to hyperlink-annotated "Sweat" by Zora Neale Hurston.

Alice Walker rediscovered Hurston and wrote an essay "In Search of Zora Neale Hurston" about her research into the work of Hurston. The essay was later republished in her book as a chapter titled "Looking for Zora".


For what it's worth I have included a post that I shared last year while teaching American Literature to juniors:

It's been a few years since I've taught Zora Neale Hurston's novel Their Eyes Were Watching God - perhaps one of the most beautiful novels I've ever read. I remember reading it in high school. Some moments are still so clear, yet I confess that I missed the depth of most of it. I was too young to have those relationships in life that literature requires. It's in second readings, once we know the end... And second readings later in life, when we know ourselves a little better than when we were young and figuring ourselves out, who we are, in life.

In listening to this video, clip of Alice Walker reading - my eyes glistened as she read the end of the novel. The line, "The kiss of his memory made pictures of love and light against the wall. Here was peace." It resonated in a new way, reminding me of my brother - and other loved ones who have passed. Love is never lost with sweet memories that still offer solace - still living in memory.


I've said it before, and I will continue to say it, I hope you will consider reading these novels that we read in Junior English later in life, once you have loved and lost, and pulled yourself up from the pain and heartache to love again.





No comments:

Post a Comment